The Secret of How Sound Can Make You Be Happier & Achieve More with Julian Treasure
58:39 · 2018
In this episode we go deep on sound – we discuss how sound changes your body and affects your heart rate, breathing, brain waves, and hormone secretions, the secret to cultivating soundscapes that make us happier and more productive, the incredible power of listening and how it can change your reality, how, like sound waves, we are all vibrating, from the smallest physical level, to the macro level, and much more with Julian Treasure.
Julian Treasure is the chair of the Sound Agency , a consultancy firm that advises worldwide businesses on how to effectively use sound. Julian has delivered 5 TED talks with more than 30 million views about listening, communication, and the effect sound has on the human brain. He is the author of the book Sound Business and the upcoming book How To Be Heard. His work has been featured in Time Magazine, The Economist, and many more.
• Why musicians have slightly larger brains than non-musicians
• We are all vibrating, from the smallest physical level, to the macro level
• What is sound itself and how does it affect us?
• How sound changes your body and affects your heart rate, breathing, brain waves, and hormone secretions
• What sound to listen to if you have trouble sleeping
• How sound entrains all of your bodily rhythms
• It is possible to listen to two people talking at once?
• How ambient noise (especially human voice) can reduce your productivity by up to 66%
• How noise can negatively change your behavior, create stress, etc
• How noise kills 1 million health-years per year in Europe (via reduced life expectancy)
• The secret to cultivating soundscapes that make us happier and more productive
• The incredible power of listening and how it can change your reality
• The underutilized sensitivity and power in the ears
• Why it's a grave mistake to think that everyone listens the same way that you do
• How silence is a vital part of improving your ability to listen
• The power of 3 minutes of silence per day
• Why open plan offices are terrible for concentration and contemplation
• “The mixer” exercise you can perform to make yourself a better listener
• The importance of savoring the mundane sounds around us every day
• How you can use "listening positions” to transform how you listen
• The difference between critical listening vs empathic listening
• We all want to be heard, to be understood, and to be valued
• Do men and women have different default listening positions?
• Convergent listening vs divergent listening
• How “RASA” can make you a much better listener
• How truly listening to someone can be an amazing gift
• The human voice is one of the most complex and amazing instruments in the world
• The 4 communication channels - Reading, writing, speaking, listening
• The way you say something is much more important than how you say it
• The vocal toolbox and how you can use these tools to be a more effective communicator
• Posture is a critical component in the vocal toolbox
• The power of breath, and a simple breathing exercise we can all use
• You want your voice to have the timbre of hot chocolate (rich, smooth)
• How changing pace, pitch, and tone can impact h