Integrating 50,000 Years of Human Knowledge into a Single Comprehensive Map of Reality with Ken Wil
62 minutes · 2018
In this episode we dig into a massive framework for answers some of the biggest questions in life, ask if its possible to integrate 50,000 years of human knowledge into a single comprehensive map of reality, we look at the greatest good that a human being can achieve, we go deep on the path of “waking up” offered by thousands of years, hundreds of cultures, and what the clearest and strikingly similar paths to enlightenment are, we discuss how to integrate and understand the connections between art, morality, and science and much more with our guest Ken Wilbur.
Ken Wilbur is the founder of the Integral Institute which serves as a think tank aiming to synthesize all human experience and knowledge. He’s been called the “Einstein of consciousness”, and is the author of over twenty books with a focus on transpersonal psychology including A Brief History Of Everything, The Integral Vision, Sex, Ecology, Spirituality and more.
• We dig into a massive framework for answers some of the biggest questions in life (who am I, why am I here, etc)
• Building bigger pictures that fits all of our knowledge into a cohesive framework for understanding reality
• Is it possible it to integrate 50,000 years of human knowledge into a single comprehensive map of reality?
• The different paths of showing up, cleaning up, growing up, waking up
• Most people, even experts, a completely unaware of the vast intersections of knowledge across human history and the major academic disciplines
• The “integral” approach tries to take everything into account to provide a truly comprehensive approach to human society, life, business, ecology, politics, and more
• The paths of “waking up” and “growing up” and why they are some of the most central and significant paths you can pursue in life
• The two major states of consciousness that humans experience
• Is it a misunderstanding to take ourselves as a single egoic self?
• How every single thing and event is interwoven with the entire universe as a whole
• What is the greatest good that a human being can achieve?
• What is it like to have an enlightenment experience?
• The seen self vs the seeing self? What is the observing self?
• The synthesis of zen koans, Jesus’s teachings, and philosophy
• The maps of “waking up” offered by thousands of years, hundreds of cultures, and what the clearest and strikingly similar paths to enlightenment are
• All the major religious traditions describe a strikingly similar path towards “waking up”
• Why mindfulness “resting in the witness” is the powerful path towards enlightenment
• Religion as a mythic story that you’re supposed to agree with
• Paths of waking up are not a “mythic story” but psychotechnologies of transformation
• Nobody is smart enough to be wrong all the time - there has to be partial truth in almost everything that can be integrated into a holistic understanding of reality
• The levels of human consciousness / understanding from developmental psychology
• The great stages of human development of society mimic the develop of individuals
• “Waking up” and “growing up” are two very different things and you can be at different places on either of those paths
• There is some degree of truth in virtually every approach to reality you look at, how can all of these approaches fit together, how can embrace all of them in a coherent fashion?
• Hierarchies exist, but they don’t equate to moral superiority
• The “big three” - the beautiful,