Cajun Jambalaya Sushi Roll Class (Demo & Recipe)
13:37 · 2018
Learn the art of making sushi with a twist. We infuse Cajun & Japanese like never before. See below for recipe!
Crab & Sausage Jambalaya Roll with Spicy Japanese Creole Sauce
Make 4 Rolls
INGREDIENTS QUANTITY PROCEDURE
Andouille Sausage About 2 links Cut into ½ inch by ½ inch square
Imitation Crab Meat 4 logs Cut to fit the nori sheet
Red Bell Pepper About ½ pepper Sliced thin
Celery About 1 stalk Sliced thin
Garlic Olive Oil ¼ cup Ass need for sauté
Garlic About 1 teaspoons Garlic in the jar. Reserve I teaspoon of juice
Red Onion About ½ cup Sliced thin
Roma Tomato 1 medium firm Guts removed and sliced thinly
Louisiana Hot Sauce As needed To taste
Nori (seaweed) 4 sheets
Cooked Sushi Rice 3 cup Short or medium but short holds better
Slap Yo’ Mama Creole Spice 2 to 3 tsp. To taste
Black Sesame Seeds About 2 Tbsp. Or regular sesame seeds
Pickled Ginger 2 Tbsp. Enough for a little on each plate
Wasabi Sauce 2 Tbsp. Enough for a little on each plate
Japanese Creole Sauce
Real Mayo ½ cup
Louisiana Hot Sauce 3 Tbsp. To taste find the hottest one
Key Lime Juice 1 tsp. Or fresh lime
Garlic Juice 1 tsp. optional
Directions for the Jambalaya Roll
1. Follow the direction for the sushi rice. For best results cook in a rice cooker. When the rice is on you can prep up everything else you need for the rolls.
2. Using a small skillet add a little oil and allow to get hot on a medium-high heat. Place each sausage in the hot oil and allow a nice dark sear on each side. This should take about 1 minute on all 4 sides. When you are about 1 minute done add in the garlic. Dash some of the Louisiana hot sauce over the sausages to coat them. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
3. Clean the pan out of any burnt pieces and add a little more oil and allow to get hot on a medium-high heat. Add the sliced red bell pepper and the sliced celery. Season with creole seasoning and suttee lightly for about 1 minute. Set aside with the sausages.
4. Cover a bamboo mat with plastic wrap tightly. Place a sheet of nori on top centered. With water-moistened hands, spread 1 cup of the cooked rice evenly on top of the seaweed leaving about a quarter inch border at the top and bottom edges. Press firmly. Leaving the plastic wrap in place on the mat, turn the sushi layer over so that the seaweed faces up and the rice faces down.
5. Arrange one sausage strip, one crab log, and about 4 strips of peppers, celery, onion and tomato on top of the seaweed so the ingredients form a neat narrow row that aligns with the edge of the nori square closest to you. Roll the bamboo mat forward (making sure the plastic wrap stays with the mat), pressing the ingredients inside the cylinder-shaped sushi. Press the bamboo mat firmly with both hands to shape the sushi, then remove the mat. Repeat the process with remaining ingredients to make three more rolls.
6. Cut the sushi rolls into 1 inch rounds with a sharp serrated knife moistened with water and whipped each cut. Serve with wasabi, ginger, and Japanese Creole Sauce.
Directions for the Japanese Creole Sauce
1. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Jerk Marinade Sriracha, and lime juice. Taste and add more Sriracha to desired spiciness. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to a month.
Recipe Created by: Chef Ace Champion