Shep Hyken sits down with Sean McDade. They discussed how to create a consistent customer experience, why you should listen to your customers (and what to do with what they tell you), and how you can create a customer-centric organization.
• Sean defines being customer-centric as, “Consistently listening to customers and empowering your organization to take what customers are saying and do something about it.”
• Simply listening to your customers isn’t enough. You have to align your organization to enable people to take action towards putting the customer at the center of your company.
• Great companies who get great ROI out of listening to customers follow up on every bad customer experience. They find out what went wrong and they make it right with that customer. Then they fix the common reasons that caused those bad experiences so that they might not happen again.
• The customer experience is everything the customer experiences with your company. This includes people, employees, products/services, and websites. A good customer experience has consistency across all touchpoints that a customer has with an organization.
• If a customer has a positive experience with your organization, ask them who provided that good experience and what they did. This will allow you to recognize good people within your organization and duplicate their positive actions.
Sean McDade Ph.D. is the CEO and founder of PeopleMetrics . For over 20 years, he’s helped companies get closer to their customers by systematically listening and improving the experience. He wrote the book Listen Or Die: 40 Lessons That Turn Customer Feedback Into Gold.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.