What if you knew the “Magic Words” to use with your customers?
Shep Hyken sits down with Tim David to discuss the impact that words have on human connection and customer service.
• TIM’S GENEROUS GIFT: To start with, Tim has offered a free video course on body language. Just visit here - https://www.udemy.com/body-language/?couponCode=dyvg53.
• Seven words that motivate, engage, and influence:
1. Because – Studies show that when this word is used, the answer is changed. When not used, the answer may not be the desired one. However, when you add the word “because,” people’s minds change.
2. Yes – The more often we say yes to someone, the more we feel like we like them. The brain loves to use shortcuts, so if it associates a person with the word “yes,” then the relationship is strengthened. Starting the conversation with agreement puts the person on the other end at ease right off the bat.
3. But – When the brain hears this word, everything that came before it is automatically erased as if it were never said. If you’re going to use this word, consider the order in which it comes in a sentence. The meaning is the same, but what’s remembered is different.
4. If – This word engages imagination and frees people up to say what they really feel. When you use “if” and “like” (e.g., “If I had a magic wand, what would be an ideal outcome for you?”) you force the brain to focus on positive outcomes rather than on problems.
5. Name – Using someone’s name allows for a connection to take place.
6. Help – Human connection is a natural reaction. Part of our success as a species comes from working together. But we often have a hard time asking for help. When we do that, we rob people of the opportunity to do what comes naturally. Value the word “help” and create space for it.
7. Thanks – There is so much power behind gratitude. When it is removed, you feel its absence immediately.
8. BONUS WORD: Us – When this word is used, the customer feels as though you are in this together, that you empathize with them.
Tim David is the author of "Magic Words: The Science and Secrets Behind Seven Words That Motivate, Engage, and Influence." An ex-professional magician, he now teaches salespeople and leaders the magic of prioritizing human connection at work and in life.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, “New York Times” best-selling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.