Shep Hyken sits down with Tom Karinshak, Executive VP of Customer Service at Comcast, to discuss the importance of investing in training and equipping employees so that they can better serve customers.
• Your customers know what good customer service is. They aren’t usually comparing your service to a direct competitor. They are comparing it to any company that gives them good service, no matter what the company is selling.
• Look around and take notes from companies that are giving great service. You are a customer as well. When you have a great experience, implement those strategies into your own business.
• Meet your customers where they want to be met. This could be social media, chat, phone calls, email, etc. In whatever way your customers want to reach you, make sure you are there.
• It’s so important to get things right the first time around so that there doesn’t have to be a second time.
• Employees must be armed with the proper tools, technology, and training so that they are able to give great customer experiences.
• Consistency amongst employees is so critical. When customers ask questions, there should be consistent answers, no matter who they talk to.
• Ask your customers for feedback on how you can be better. But also ask your employees for feedback on how the company can be a better place to work.
Tom Karinshak serves as Executive Vice President of Customer Service for Comcast Cable. Tom oversees call center operations including phone, chat and social media agents, in addition to other key touch points and service channels with customers.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.