The Simple 20 Minute Exercise That Rewires Your Brain For Happiness with Dr. Dan Siegel
52:27 · 2019
In this episode we look at how to live a healthy, happy, successful life - from the inside out. We explore what it means to have an “integrated” brain, look at lessons across vastly different scientific disciplines, and share the accessible, simple strategy you can use in 20 minutes to integrate the most important learnings from scientific research to create an integrated brain, body, and mind - to improve your health, happiness, wellbeing and success with our guest Dr. Dan Siegel.
Dr. Dan Siegel is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA. He is a multi-best-selling author and award-winning educator and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. His work has taken him across the globe to work with individuals such as the King of Thailand, Pope John Paul II, and The Dalai Lama.
• What is integration? What does it mean to live a fully connected life?
• Different parts can be honored for their differences and then linked and connected and allowed to communicate with one another
• The linking of different integrated parts - is the fundamental way a complex system optimizes functioning - the way it “self organizes”
• An optimally integrated organism or organization is in a state of harmony, a state of flow, a state of health
• A healthy life, a successful life, a happy life comes from being integrated
• The opposite of integration is either Chaos or Rigidity
• Dan comes at the questions of happiness and successful lives from a wholistic integrated perspective across any and all scientific fields “interpersonal neurobiology”
• A healthy mind is both integrated within - inside your body - and integration between - integration between other people and the planet
• Information.. IN FORMATION - information is just energy in a certain configuration that gives it context and meaning - information is meaning embedded via energy patterns
• How is the MIND part of the system of energy and information flow in reality and the world as a whole?
• “Emergence” - the essence of a complex system is that it interacts with itself and self organizes
• 3 Pillar Training - how to integrate the brain to be healthier and happier - how to live in harmony instead of chaos
• Do you feel like you belong? Does our society today foster a sense of belonging?
• This powerful story about a sense of belonging ties into the science of the mind and the brain - the “embodied brain” and the “relational” mind
• What is the self? What is the mind? Does the mind exist, as the source of your self, inside your skin encased body? Is that it?
• You also have a relational self that is equally as important as your individualized self
• By cultivating the 3 pillars you develop neuroplastic changes in your brain - changes in the physical structure of your brain - to create meaningful integration for the brain
• Integration is the basis of wellbeing in your body, mind, and relationships
• The accessible, simple strategy you can use in 20 minutes to integrate the most important learnings from scientific research to create an integrated brain, body, and mind - to improve your health, happiness, wellbeing and success.
• Homework: Take the Wheel of Awareness on Dan’s website (linked in the show notes) - most efficient, effective, science based, multi-disciplinary thing you can bring into your life . It’s wholly grounded in science and its