Shep Hyken interviews Mark Samuel. They discuss Mark’s new book, which outlines how to achieve success by breaking down silos, creating a vision of success, and emphasizing behaviors over outcomes.
In Shep’s Opening Monologue...
He addresses the age-old assertion that “the customer is always right” and argues that “the customer is NOT always right.
The Interview with Mark Samuel:
• Mark’s book, B STATE: A New Roadmap for Bold Leadership, Brave Culture, and Breakthrough Results , details a paradigm shift that will lead individuals and companies to success. It’s about getting from point A to point B of success. To get to point B, you must first create a vision of what that B state is for you, then allow that to pull you along rather than trying to push yourself from the A state.
• By focusing on middle management, cultural changes will trickle down to other areas of company, promoting growth and success.
• There needs to be a level of human connection and concern in every interaction, and this begins internally in all organizations. More often than not, companies that are rated as good places to work will also be rated positively for their customer service.
• The customer service industry is changing rapidly. To manage these changes, organizations need to not only handle problems in the present but forecast and strategize for future problems that may arise. The company needs to support the customer through these changes to ensure loyalty.
• Maintain your own “service consciousness.” When you operate from a mindset of being in service to those around you, it will build positive service habits and ultimately help you deliver exceptional customer service. Find the joy in giving service and making genuine human connections.
Mark Samuel is the founder and CEO of IMPAQ and has over 30 years of experience working with major companies around the world. His most recent book is B STATE: A New Roadmap for Bold Leadership, Brave Culture, and Breakthrough Results .
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.
“Are you of service consciousness, or are you just doing a customer service job?” - Mark Samuel