The Shocking Secret You Must Know to Create Lasting Behavior Change with John Assaraf
55:53 · 2019
In this episode, we discuss how to hack your brain to finally create the results you want in life. We take a hard look at what really drivers results and the reality that knowledge and skill aren’t what make you successful - the subconscious drives your behavior, that’s it. You don’t need any more tools to achieve your goals, you just need to change your beliefs and your subconscious set points for success, happiness, and achievement. Action is the ultimate arbiter of your success, are you taking enough of it, and how can you take more? We discuss all of this and much more with our guest John Assaraf.
John Assaraf is an entrepreneur, brain researcher and the CEO of NeuroGym. He is the author of two New York Times best-selling books and his latest work is titled “Innercise: The New Science to Unlock Your Brain’s Hidden Power”. Throughout his career, he has worked some of the world's top minds and has shared his expertise with millions of viewers on Larry King Live, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and dozens of other media venues worldwide.
• Emotions are triggered in your subconscious, that then trigger neurochemicals, which cause feelings, which you either like the experience of or don’t like
• How do you deal with the subconscious fear of failure or disappointment?
• Emotions are just signals for what’s going on in your brain and in your body
• Instead of focusing on just on the emotion - focus on what’s CAUSING the emotion - use the emotion as a signal
• When you don’t understand what’s causing you to be afraid and stopping you from taking action - you will be a VICTIM of your emotions
• Our behaviors are an EFFECT - if you take action, that’s an effect, if you don’t take action, that’s an effect.
• Ask yourself - why am I taking (or not taking) the action I want to take?
• What does real science say that can help you really understand what’s going on?
• Results are nothing more than effects… but the effects of WHAT?
• What causes RESULTS in your life?
• Whenever we have an implicit subconscious belief that differs from a conscious explicit belief we have “neural chaos” and you will “rationalize why you can’t or shouldn’t do it”
• Not taking action is a behavior.So is taking action.
• What’s going on in my subconscious mind that is preventing me from taking action?
• If your values are in conflict with your beliefs - you won’t get the results you want.
• Knowledge doesn’t drive behavior. Skill doesn’t drive behavior. The subconscious drives behavior. That’s it.
• How do you embark on the deliberate conscious evolution of yourself?
• People often confuse GATHERING information with what it takes to impregnate that information into the subconscious
• You have to practice and exercise and build “neuro muscles” over and over again
• It takes hours and hours of practice, hundreds and hundreds of hours in many cases - to learn behavior or habit into the brain.
• The new era of personal development and the new science of success is about understanding brain circuitry and reprogramming it
• People often don’t need more TOOLS - the problem is that your beliefs and financial set points get stuck
• How John’s mindset principles created $100mm in 6 months at his real estate company
• Are you interested in achieving your goals or are you COMMITTED to them?
• Homework: Cognitive priming. Ask yourself - what do you want from every area of your life?